Your friend LP

It's been real! 2011 – 2016

Month: May, 2015

Only in my brain

Does this

combined with this

inspire a short story for my creative writing portfolio due tomorrow. That I still need to write, like, right now. Wish me luck! 😀

Short round up/update

Despite being three days late, this post will be a short one as I am taking a break from studying linguistics for tomorrow’s exam. For all the people thinking “I am sick and tired of hearing about your studies!”: so I am. Unfortunately, not much else happens around here at the moment, well, except for cat snuggling and sleep.

Let’s see: since the write-a-ton, I have finished a 2500 word final and a review for one class, a 3000 word final for another, and played Hamlet, of Hamlet fame. While probably not as convincing as my MacBethian witch last year, there was applause and nobody threw things at me, so I’ll just consider it a success.

In the coming 5 days, I will have 2 two hour exams and I will need to finish up my 30 page writing portfolio by writing a 15 page story. I will also be crafting a folder in which said portfolio will be presented, I will of course take pictures that I will post here later. When all that is done, I will “only” have to rewrite my proposal, read a 600+ page book, write an abstract about it and then do a presentation about it, and that will be it for this year. Unless I have resits of course, but I haven’t had any results from anything yet, so I’m not worrying about that right now. And back to studying linguistics I go!

Fyeah! Decoden phone case!

A couple of weeks ago, I was first introduced to the concept of decoden and was so entranced by it, that I immediately ordered all the things necessary so I could make my own case during summer break.

This Friday evening however, I decided that I desperately needed to do something creative, so I grabbed all the supplies, looked at the tutorial once more and decided to just go for it. All photos are clickable to embiggen, as usual:

Collage 1

On the left are all the things I needed: 100% silicone in a fancy contraption courtesy of The Big Kahuna, who is our family’s hardware expert. Then there’s a plastic bag and an icing tip, which will be used to get said silicone onto the phone case, and of course the clear phone case and the cabochons. In the middle picture you see a close up of the icing tip attached to the plastic bag with clear tape. And in the picture on the right there’s a sorta-kinda layout of the cabochons.

Collage 2

On the left you see the 100% silicone being pushed into the plastic piping bag and on the right there’s the first row of silicone icing. The icing and the placing of the cabochons was extremely stressful, I was so terrified of ruining my entire project that I even forgot to take pictures during the process. It did however turn out pretty awesome, if I may say so myself:

Collage 3

How awesome? So awesome! As you can see, I at some point just freestyled the layout, as the dimensions were quite different due to me sticking the cabochons in a more upright position into the silicone.

Collage 4

And here it is with my phone in it! Although from this angle it might look like there’s a lollypop in front of the camera opening, in reality both the camera opening and the little opening for the speaker (bottom left) are left completely unobstructed. As advised in the tutorial video that I saw, I’m going to let my case dry until the silicone doesn’t smell anymore.

I am super happy with the end result and, after a bit of stress somewhere in the middle when I thought I was doing it wrong, really enjoyed the process! Doing something practical did lift my mood enough for me to get right back into writing yet another multiple thousands of words in the coming two weeks.

The Sketchbook Project 2015 viewable online!

For reasons unknown, this post did not go up automatically last Sunday and I didn’t notice it earlier as I was dealing with what most likely was a resurgence of the flu and did not get out of bed fulltime until today.

While trying to procrastinate from writing yet another something study-related, I decided to check if City Lights, my sketchbook project 2015 submission had by any chance already been scanned and uploaded and lo and behold

IT IS!

*does little happy dance*

Success! (and a windmill picture)

Last week’s write a ton was successful, thankfully one of the essay deadlines got extended a couple of days, which gave me just enough room to breathe. I really hope that I’ll get passing grades and never ever ever ever have to do this again, because it’s neither healthy nor fun.

What is fun, is that I got my results back from the “Introduction to your thesis“-class, which I managed to pass, which is yay. I’m still working on the proposal though, mostly because I have prioritised all my other writing and haven’t paid a lot of attention to it. Hopefully, I’ll finish it sometime in the coming week, together with a film review and probably something else that is due but that I can’t recall right now. My schedule knows, so I’ll figure it out.

For now, have a picture I shot of the windmill at the end of the street, no filter:

20150503_211536